About Me

My name is Bob Elko. I live in Appleton WI. You can usually find me wandering around the Fox River looking for animals to photograph. I have a photography website where my images are available for purchase. There are many products to choose from. The link to my site is listed below. Thanks for stopping!! Bob

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Backlighting, refelction, and DOF.

I took some time today while I was @thebrownbarn to take a walk around the pond. I have seen some nicely backlighted shots recently and wanted to give it a go. I pulled out my 1.8 50mm and found a nice milkweed pod to start.


I love the effect I get at 1.8 and the blurry halos if light. 

Next, I tried a still water reflection. I was trying to recreate a shot I have done a number of times, but it is not the best image I have gotten.


I love that the sky is such a deep blue in the refection. But the water was not still enough for a great shot. I also like that you can play a little mind game with these images. Rotate 180° and you have this...


I will post a picture of my better version of this shot for an example.


Leaves in the sky!

Last shot.. Depth of Field.


Great day for yellows!! I took some more shots, but I am saving them for @thebrownbarn





1 comment:

  1. I love the leaves in the sky. I have been shooting milkweed too ~ Addicting.

    When I flipped the milkweed shots, the seeds looked like perfect little ballerinas.

    ReplyDelete