About Me

My name is Bob Elko. I live in Appleton WI. You can usually find me wandering around the Fox River looking for animals to photograph. I have a photography website where my images are available for purchase. There are many products to choose from. The link to my site is listed below. Thanks for stopping!! Bob

Friday, January 6, 2012

A study in skies.....

There must be something in the atmosphere as of late as the sunrise and sunsets have been amazing. I will start out with the Wednesday evening sunset.



I was not in a great position for these two shots, just shooting west down my street. I didn't have time after work to drive to one of my preferred shooting locations. The skies the following morning made me late for work.




This is another example of my "urban sunset/rise" series. These pictures were taken from the parking lot of the shuttered Hoffmaster plant. There is a large holding tank in the first picture, and the lightpole near an apartment complex in the second. If I had tweaked the contrast to lighten shadows instead of darken highlights in the third you would be able to see this railcar.


I actually shot "The AM FM Crew" on 12-22-2011. It was still there today when I went by. I may start a new gallery of graffiti on my website as I seem to be drawn to it (See here).

After a very long day of work, I again came home too late to get out so I shot down the street again.


I took a number of shots that I wasn't all that thrilled with as they had either 1: geese, or 2: airplanes flying through them. Of course I was focusing on the treeline and all flying objects were out of focus. I did however  turn to the east to catch our nearly full moon ascending. I dropped the ISO to 100 went to f/5.6 and took a 1/1000 sec exposure. Even though these two shots are about two minutes apart, the difference is day and night.


I but you would think that this was shot about 9-10 o'clock, but no, it was 4:30. I love to manipulate the sky, using my settings to turn day to night!












1 comment: