About Me

My name is Bob Elko. I live in Appleton WI. You can usually find me wandering around the Fox River looking for animals to photograph. I have a photography website where my images are available for purchase. There are many products to choose from. The link to my site is listed below. Thanks for stopping!! Bob

Monday, January 9, 2012

Neenah at night.

I wanted to get the bridge and the moon into one shot tonight. Unfortunately, I do not have a wide enough angle lens for the shot. I will try again if it is clear later in the week, but a little earlier when the moon is on the rise. I have taken pictures of this bridge many times, and one other time at night, but I spent more time here tonight as it was relatively mild at a balmy 38° F. This is a re-purposed railroad bridge that crosses Little Lake Butte des Morts. It is now a pedestrian and cycling thoroughfare.


There is a nice power boat launch here and also a still water launch for kayaks as well. I have misplaced my tripod so of course I had to rely on the railing posts for keeping the camera steady during the 30 second exposures.


I think this one turned out a little crisper. When I saw this in the veiwfinder, I noticed the steam from the factory across the lake was getting a nice blur on it. So of course I turned to the south to the Neenah bio-mass electric plant. 


I thought the plume looked pretty cool and spent quite some time shooting it. Tonight, I tried again to use RAW format imaging.  I had tried it in the past with little success. I am glad that I did. I probably could have used the "remove a color cast" tool to take away the yellow in the shot, or paid attention and changed my white balance in camera, but shooting in RAW allowed me to do that out of camera. It ended up looking like this.....



These are two different images. I have this one cropped so it is a "panoramic" ratio. I think I like the blues better, But I think I may tweak out some the highlights to give a more even light. Some of the areas are still a little too bright. I hope I find my tripod soon, and am looking forward to getting my remote trigger in the mail. 




No comments:

Post a Comment